One of my favorite things about our Des Moines community is our unique ability to rally around our warriors and lift people up. Kelly is one of those warriors and she came highly recommended. During the one month lag time between scheduling and shooting, Kelly's name kept serendipitously coming up. I ran into a friend at Hy-Vee and she mentioned Kelly's amazing on-the-go meals that Kelly and Hy-Vee collaborate on. I heard several friends talk about the success of Kelly's health program. By the time Kelly walked into the studio, I was beyond ecstatic to meet her.
Kelly's journey has not been an easy one. Kelly's journey has not been an easy one. She beat colon cancer diagnosis only to face breast cancer, which doctors thought spread to her ovaries. Before turning 40, Kelly had gone through multiple rounds of chemo and radiation, a double mastectomy AND a hysterectomy. She had lost her hair and struggled with the repercussions of cancer and cancer treatment on her body. Kelly turned to her faith and nutrition to heal her from the inside. What started as a personal health journey quickly morphed into a professional venture.
One of the foundational beliefs in Kelly's program is that you SHOULD NEVER BE HUNGRY. I personally love this philosophy. One of Kelly's big go to meal prep options is a smoothie - below you can read her reasoning and find a delicious recipe!
Best Blueberry Oat Smoothie
Have you ever been short on time but wanted a quick, healthy meal? Try a smoothie! When made correctly, smoothies provide great on-the-go nutrition and boost your metabolism. Here are some of my Top Smoothie Tips:
- Make it “PFC”. So what is PFC? You need Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates to balance your blood sugar, burn fat, boost your metabolism and have solid energy. Loading up a smoothie with just fruit (carbs) will spike your blood sugar, causing you to store fat. Soon after, your energy will crash and you’ll be hungry. The best way to get heatlhy and lean is to eat balanced PFC meals and snacks. This is the foundational teaching in my Kelly Timmerman Nutrition Program.
- Always pack in healthy greens. Start with adding a handful of fresh spinach. Honestly, you won’t even taste it! As you get used to this, gradually increase the amount and add some kale, too.
- If you don’t have Magic Bullet, get one!
Here’s how you can build a basic PFC Smoothie:
- 1-2 cups liquid (unsweetened vanilla almond milk, unsweetened coconut milk, etc.)
- 1 serving quality protien powder, plain Greek Yogurt, or Hemp Hearts
- 1 serving carbs (approximately 1 cup frozen fruit - or less if adding oats)
- 1 serving healthy fat (nut butter, coconut oil, avocado, chia seeds, etc.)
- Optional: ice, stevia, almond extract, vanilla extract
- If your kale or spinach is about to get old, put it in a zip lock bag, squeeze out the air, and store in the freezer. These crunchy, icy leaves work great for future smoothies.
- As bananas start to ripen, peel them and freeze in small zip lock bags for future smoothies.
Now that you’ve become educated on building healthy, balanced smoothies, get creative and change up the fruit, try different flavors and types of protein, and experiment with extracts or spices for flavor. See below for one of my very favorite smoothies recipes.
Kelly's Blueberry Oat PFC Smoothie
For 2 Servings:
1 cup raw spinach
2 c unsweetened almond milk
2 servings vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 banana (frozen is great!)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup raw oats
1 Tbs healthy fat (olive oil, coconut oil, chia seeds, etc)
Optional: couple ice cubes
Blend and enjoy. So yummy!
Note: This is 2 servings, so I cut it in half and easily mix in my Magic Bullet.
Tip: It will thicken as it sits due to the oatmeal. Add extra liquid if you're letting it set for awhile.
P.S. I'm putting the final touches on my exciting FREE interview series "Healthy Crazy Life: Simple Wellness and Weight Loss Hacks for Busy Women", which airs April 2. I've collaborated with 20+ wellness experts to bring you top strategies to take care of YOU, to look and feel great, even with a busy schedule. If you'd like to join us, click here: Healthy Crazy Life Series , enter your email address, and I'll be in touch soon!